My Dog Ate The Halloween Candy!

With the approach of the trick-or-treat season, be sure to keep your dog safely away from the ghosts, goblins and witches! They carry dangerous things that can potentially harm your dog……..of course these things I am referring to is CANDY! In particular, candy that contains chocolate, or the sweetener xylitol, which are both toxic to dogs.

Chocolate Toxicity In Dogs

My dog ate the Halloween candy
Chocolate is made from the cocoa bean and contains caffeine, and a related chemical compound called theobromine, which is toxic to your dog. In determining whether your dog has consumed a large enough quantity of chocolate to be at risk, consider the weight of your dog, in comparison with the amount consumed, as well as the type of chocolate. Usually, you can figure upon 1 ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight being potentially toxic. Although, some types of chocolate contain more theobromine, so the amount consumed for toxicity would be less.

The types of chocolate, listed from least amount of threat, to greatest, are as follows: white chocolate, milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, unsweetened bakers chocolate, dark chocolate

Xylitol Toxicity In Dogs

Xylitol is a sugar substitute that was mostly popular in Europe, but has since grown in popularity in the U.S. This sweetener, which is found in oral products, candies, gum, and other sugar-free foods, can potentially cause life-threatening liver disease, and hypoglycemia if consumed by your dog.

Every year there are unknowing children who leave their halloween candy laying around, and every year there are mischievous puppies whose noses guide them to the divine sweetness. Dogs will eat just about anything, so be sure to keep your candy under lock and key!
My dog ate the Halloween candy

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *